Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Excited (To Reach The End) of 2009? Here's one more reason! (Jon Mann CD Review)



What can be said about a band with a name like Surfer Blood? I'll admit that my first perception of the band upon hearing their name uttered by a friend was very different from what I can easily say is now my favorite band of 2009. Surfer Blood is an indie pop band from Florida's own Palm Beach and "Astro Coast" is their debut record. I haven't been able to stop listening to this album on a daily basis since the first time I heard it. The mellow melodies and soothing song writing throughout the album are unlike a lot of new music I've heard put out in recent years. I am a fan of the record as a whole, but the stand out tracks in my opinion would have to be "Take It Easy", and "Twin Peaks". "Catholic Pegasus" is also very much a righteous jam; I must say those deep/haunting vocals are very reminiscent of Why?, and they make me shiver every time I hear the song. All in all, "Astro Coast" is the must hear, must have, must love record for 2010. But don't just take my word for it, please check it out for yourself or you will all be sorry. (editor's note: is that a threat?)

"Swim (To Reach The End)" - Now available on
iTunes

Surfer Blood - Astro Coast out on
Kanine Records January 19th, 2010

Surfer Blood, Bananafish, An Introduction to Sunshine, and Great Deceivers - Live at
Backbooth 12/13/09

-Jon Mann

Also, here is a link to a Kanine Records sampler. Thanks Kanine!

No comments:

Post a Comment