Friday, October 23, 2009

An interview with Dan Rozenblum of Thunderdome Touring



Thunderdome Touring's Dan Rozenblum agreed to let me pick his brain about booking, touring, and music in general. There is definitely some useful information here for anyone who cares about any of those things. I think I first officially met Dan when I booked Psyopus at this crappy (and sorta awesome) bar I worked at in Tallahasse called The Inn Between. Thanks in part to Dan, they no longer have to play crappy bars like that.


When did you first start playing music? What instrument did you pick up first? When did you start playing in bands, and what was your first?

I picked up guitar in 1988, so when I was 13. I was really into U2, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Slayer, and Testament. I begged my mom to let me play guitar and that pretty much was the turning point for me for the direction my life has taken. I got really into music and that really became the main focal point of everything. I didn't start playing in a band till 10th grade. But that was just jamming with my friends at school. I went to a private school so there were only a few kids who played metal, but I ended up going to public school in 11th grade and that's where I played in my first real band. I actually played bass in that band and it was hardcore punk band called Now Or Never. That was 1991, and the kids at public school are the ones who gave me my introduction into Dead Kennedys, Misfits, Minor Threat, Youth Of Today and stuff like Thrill Kill Kult. That year was pivotal for me. All that punk stuff, and also the Nirvana thing. That was the year I played my first show and it was the most incredible experience ever!


Cream Abdul Babar started in 1994; you guys had a pretty long run. Lots of touring, and I'm sure some great and some not so great experiences along the way. Of the bands you guys had a chance to tour with, who was one of your personal favorites? Why?

Yeah that band defined my life for the 13 years we were together. It was a group of best friends that were together not because of any sort of strategy on song writing or getting signed or "which guy are we gonna get to play guitar who has bad ass riffs". It was 110% based on friendship and fun. That is all. And the fact of the matter is that we are not "broken up." we simply "do not play together at the moment." The term "break up" implies there is animosity or that something went wrong. Nothing is wrong; we just logistically cannot play together. These are still my 7 best friends. The coolest tour in my opinion was our tour with Dragbody. That lasted 3 months, and was simply amazing. We toured with Mastodon too, but that was the worst performed tour ever for us, hahaha! Another really good one was with Melt-Banana.


What other bands did you have a chance to play with over the years?

We played hundreds and hundreds of shows across the US, that included bands like Neurosis, Morbid Angel, Citizen Fish, Taken, Mastodon, Kill Your Idols, Indecision, Kylesa, Melt-Banana....


It is clear that you learned a lot over the years touring with CAB. Now you run your own booking agency, Thunderdome Touring. What advice do you have for young bands out there that would like to book and promote their own tours? What to do, what not to do? Any tips for them on finding places to book shows at, etc.
The best piece of advice I can give a band is to do as much as you can for yourself and by yourself. There are all these bands that think they've played 4 shows and they can get signed and get a booking agent. That's the worst crock of shit ever. There are 10 million bands that want the same thing you do. Do what you need to separate yourself from them, and get yourself ahead. Labels and agents want to see what you can do yourself. Tour constantly and get your chops down. You do not have good chops after 4 shows. You have good chops after 3 months on the road straight through. Then do it again. And maybe even one more time. Book it yourself. Promote it yourself. Bands nowadays have it easy; there are all these internet sites at your fingertips to utilize. Work them hard. Make posters, send them out to clubs, stores, create a street team etc. If you have some $ run an ad in a magazine or web banners on a site. Do everything you want your ideal label to do yourself. Then when the labels come calling, you have the power to say:"what can you do that we can't do ourselves?” The best way to find venues is to look at other bands' sites. Don't look at bands that are way bigger than you, because those bands are playing venues far too big for you. Check out bands on your level or a little bigger.


Any nightmare tour experiences when you were with CAB? What about something awesome?

No nightmares really... the worst thing was probably a blow-out... so thankfully that is all!awesomeness is having Dick from Subhumans / Citizen Fish buy all your shit in Berkeley and tell you that your band is "brilliant", while you are standing next to Dave from Neurosis who also comes to see you every time you play the bay area, even if it's 3 days in a row.


How do you keep up with what venues are out there to book shows at in various towns around the country that you have either never been to, or haven't been in years?

I usually work with the same reliable people all the time, but when a new place pops up, all the agents know about.

You mostly cater to metal bands, but at times you have also done work for hardcore, punk and indie rock bands. How do they differ? How is booking a series of shows for a metal band different, easier, or more difficult than it is for other genres?

It's the circuit of venues & clubs. We've got metal promoters and punk promoters and what have you . . . or guys who do all of it. I lean mostly to metal bands because that is what I do best. I work with all the metal agents and we exchange bands on each other's tours.


Are you working on any major tours right now? How much work goes into setting up say, a month of shows for a band? If a band wants to book a lengthy tour, how far ahead of time do you suggest they start contacting venues?

Established bands I will book 6 months ahead. Sometimes less, but for an international band, I like to start working on it about 1/2 a year out. So I may place holds at venues in October or November for a tour in May. Generally speaking though, you can book a tour with 3 months notice. Anything shorter than that is scrambling, in my opinion.


Is there a constant flow of you having to follow up with venues and promoters trying to lock down these shows? What do you do when you need say, one date in between two cities, and you just are not hearing back at all from the venue? Give up and move on and try to find a different place to send them? Keep following up, trying to make contact?

I never give up and if someone isn’t getting back to me, I move on. Since we work with the same people repeatedly, we have an on-going relationship and it's rare for that to happen. I also assume if you don't call me back you don't want the show.


Tell me about the history of the name, Thunderdome. How it started, how you came to use it.

That's all Ian Mott. He came up with it and it was going to be the name of his punk radio show on WVFS I believe. Then we used it- with his permission- as the name of the all ages venue.


You were involved in the Tallahassee music scene for quite a long time. If you were to pick a given era that was your favorite: the bands, the venues, the people at the shows, when and who would it be?

Hands down it was the mid-late 90's, with bands like Nel Aspinal, Bacon Ray, Flanders, Syrup, Atlas Shrug, The New You, etc. That was a thriving local scene and it has never been like that since. We were on the verge of having an Athens-like scene with bands really blowing up.


Any new bands you've heard recently or begun working with that you are really excited about, that more people should know of?

I'm listing to Born Of Osiris right now, as well as Revocation, this bad ass band on Relapse. The guitarist is insane and his solos are very much in the Vai / Van Halen area.


What's your favorite thing about doing what you do for a living? You're a pretty new Dad, right? Does it afford you a lot of time to spend with your child?

Yes, I am a new Dad. It's the coolest thing ever. I work from home currently, so that makes it easy to spend time with her. But I work long hours and it's intense. I accepted a job at another agency though, so soon I'll be going to an office. Bye-bye working from home.My favorite thing about what I do for a living is watching a show on a tour you put together at a House of Blues or similar type venue. It rules.

If you weren't doing what you do now, what would you be doing?

I have no idea. I really would like to be an actor, but that's just a dream.


An actor? What kind of actor would you be? Are you into comedy, drama, action? I could see you toting some bad ass grenade launcher or something.

Hahahaha, that would rule but I'm not built enough for action flicks! I think I'd like to do drama.


Who are some people you look up to- personally or professionally- that you have learned a lot from and have in some way lead to you running a successful business working in music? How did they impact you?

I watched a guy named Tim Borror grow from working in his friend's basement to opening his own company, building that and then having the entire company be brought in to a corporate agency, making him the vice president of the NYC office. He's a bad ass and if I could follow that mold I would. Also a guy named Ash Avildsen. He is a self-made dude who has a knack for turning bands from $100 bands into headliners. He's got the Midas touch and what he has done so far has been amazing.


Last question. What town would you never recommend anyone ever trying to book a show in? And, what town was your favorite to play in when you were touring?

Hahahahaha, Wow. Ummmmm, hard one. Every town has something to offer. It's just if the promoter is good or not. You have to balance expectations. Knowing you are going to play a small town you have to know that it's not going to be 750 people. My favorite place to play was always New York City or San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment